Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sketchbook–Girl with Scarf

23 Feb 2011 - Bini6cI’ve been listening to a really interesting podcast discussion about the necessity of knowing how to draw. This is a topic that is nearly always guaranteed to get artists fired up.

One of the speakers said, “If you don’t know how to draw what is in front of you, how can you draw what is in your mind?”

True. What I find funny is the argument that it’s okay if artists can’t draw.  It’s possible to get along, I suppose, but why not learn? We create visual things,  after all, and the more adept we are at depicting these visuals the better.

Speaking of my own work, I think my lines have improved from what I was doing a couple of years back. I’ve been doing a lot of gesture drawing and life drawing, and that has helped.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails